I am an Assistant Research Professor (tenure-track) at the IMDEA Software Institute in Madrid, Spain. Before joining IMDEA Software, I held postdoctoral positions at Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (Germany), New York University (USA), and École Normale Supérieure (France).
In March 2010, I received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from University of Catania (Italy) under the supervision of Dario Catalano. During my PhD I was also a visiting student at New York University with Yevgeniy Dodis, and IBM Research T.J. Watson with Rosario Gennaro. See my CV for more details.
My research interests are in Cryptography and Security. In particular, my work focuses on the design of efficient and provably-secure cryptographic primitives and protocols. Some of the topics I work on include secure delegation of data and computation to the Cloud, homomorphic authenticators, zero-knowledge proof systems, and foundations of cryptography. See here for the full list of my publications.
I am looking for talented, highly motivated students, either graduate or undergraduate, who are interested in the area of Cryptography. If you are interested in working with me, please do not hesitate to contact me via email. * Currently open positions *
- Antonio Faonio (Postdoc, 2017 – present)
- Luca Nizzardo (PhD student, 2014 – present)
- Anca Nitulescu (PhD student, co-supervised with M. Abdalla and D. Pointcheval @ ENS Paris, October 2015 – present)
- Anais Querol Cruz (Research intern, September 2016 – present)
- Chiara Redaelli (Master student, October 2016 – present)
- Past: Anca Nitulescu (Research intern, March–September 2015), Rosario Russo (Master student, March–July 2015), Martin Zuber (Research intern, July 2016 – January 2017).
- 2015-2016: Students Crypto Reading Group @ IMDEA Software Institute
- Fall 2014: Introduction to Cryptography @ UPM, Madrid; Computer Security @ UPM / IMDEA Software Institute, Madrid
- “Juan de la Cierva-Incorporacion” research grant (2016-2017)
- EIT Digital Activity “HC@WORKS-16” (2016)
- H2020 project “NEXTLEAP” (2016-2018)
- COST Action IC1306 “Cryptography for Secure Digital Interaction”, Vice-chair and MC member
- RETOS project “DataMantium” (2016-2018)
Program Committees and Editorial Boards:
- Current/Upcoming PCs: IEEE EuroS&P 2017, PKC 2017, Financial Crypto 2017, WAHC 2017, ASIACRYPT 2017.
- Editorial Board: IET Information Security Journal
- Past: ACM CCS 2016, BalkanCryptSec 2016, Eurocrypt 2016, PKC 2016, AfricaCrypt 2016, IEEE Euro S&P 2016, SEC@ACM SAC 2016, I Jornadas Nacionales de Investigacion en Ciberseguridad (JNIC 2015), ACM CCS 2015, CRYPTO 2015, PKC 2015, WAHC 2015, SCC 2015, SCN 2014, Africacrypt 2014, WAHC 2013-2014 Workshop on Applied Homomorphic Cryptography, Pairing 2012-2013, IWSEC 2012-2013, PKC 2011.
Events/News: Our work ADSNARK received the CNIL-INRIA 2016 award for privacy protection!
- Secure Outsourcing of Data and Computation to the Cloud @ EIT Digital Symposium: security of digital systems and protocols, Rennes, France. November 24, 2016.
- Modern Cryptography for Privacy and Integrity in the Cloud @ GSE Management Summit, Lisbon, Portugal. September 27, 2016.
- Labeled Homomorphic Encryption: Scalable and Privacy-Preserving Processing of Outsourced Data @ Cryptography Seminars Day @URJC, Madrid, Spain. September 9, 2016.
- Labeled Homomorphic Encryption: Practical Delegation of Computation on Encrypted Data @ 3rd Microsoft Research – IMDEA Software Institute Collaborative Workshop, Cambridge, UK. May 2016.
- ADSNARK: Nearly Practical and Privacy-Preserving Proofs on Authenticated Data @ CryptoAction Symposium, Budapest, Hungary. April 2016.
- Ensuring integrity in Cloud computing via homomorphic digital signatures: new tools and results. @ CyberCamp 2015, Madrid, Spain. November 27, 2015.
- Using Linearly-Homomorphic Encryption to Evaluate Degree-2 Functions on Encrypted Data @ ACM CCS 2015, Denver, CO, USA. October 15, 2015.
- Programmable Hash Functions go Private: Constructions and Applications to (Homomorphic) Signatures with Short Public Keys @ Cryptography Seminars Day @ UPC, Barcelona, Spain. September 28, 2015.
- Boosting Linearly-Homomorphic Encryption @ Congreso de Jovenes Investigadores, RSME, Murcia, Spain. September 9, 2015.
- Homomorphic Authentication and its Application to Secure Outsourcing. Invited talk at MathCrypt 2015, Daejeon, South Korea. June 25-26, 2015. (CANCELED)
- ADSNARK: Nearly Practical and Privacy-Preserving Proofs on Authenticated Data @ IEEE S&P 2015, San Jose, CA, USA. May 18, 2015.
- Asymmetric Programmable Hash Functions and Applications to (Homomorphic) Signatures with Short Public Keys @ Workshop in Cryptography, Bochum. April 24, 2015.
- Efficiently Verifiable Computation on Encrypted Data @ CryptoAction WG1 meeting, Warsaw, Poland. March 26, 2015.
- Boosting Linearly-Homomorphic Encryption to Evaluate Degree-2 Functions on Encrypted Data @ ENS, Paris, France. March 12, 2015.
- Advanced Cryptographic Techniques for Secure Outsourcing to the Cloud @ Universidad Carlos III, Madrid, Spain. Feb 26, 2015.