I am an Assistant Research Professor (tenure-track) at the IMDEA Software Institute in Madrid, Spain. Before joining IMDEA Software, I held postdoctoral positions at Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (Germany), New York University (USA), and École Normale Supérieure (France).
In March 2010, I received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from University of Catania (Italy) under the supervision of Dario Catalano. During my PhD I was also a visiting student at New York University with Yevgeniy Dodis, and IBM Research T.J. Watson with Rosario Gennaro. See my CV for more details.
My research interests are in Cryptography and Security. In particular, my work focuses on the design of efficient and provably-secure cryptographic primitives and protocols. Some of the topics I work on include secure delegation of data and computation to the Cloud, homomorphic authenticators, zero-knowledge proof systems, and foundations of cryptography. See here for the full list of my publications.
I am looking for talented, highly motivated students, either graduate or undergraduate, who are interested in the area of Cryptography. If you are interested in working with me, please do not hesitate to contact me via email. * Currently open positions *
- Our work ADSNARK received the CNIL-INRIA 2016 award for privacy protection!
- Our Homomorphic Authentication Library (HAL) has been publicly released on GitHub!
Students and Postdocs:
- Antonio Faonio (Postdoc, 2017 – present)
- Luca Nizzardo (PhD student, 2014 – present)
- Anca Nitulescu (PhD student, co-supervised with M. Abdalla and D. Pointcheval @ ENS Paris, October 2015 – present)
- Elena Pagnin (PhD student, external co-supervisor, with K. Mitrokotsa @ Chalmers University of Technology)
- Anais Querol Cruz (Research intern, September 2016 – present)
- Past: Anca Nitulescu (Research intern, March–September 2015), Rosario Russo (Master thesis, March–July 2015), Martin Zuber (Research intern, July 2016 – January 2017), Chiara Redaelli (Master thesis, October 2016–February 2017).
- Fall 2016: Computer Security @ UPM / IMDEA Software Institute, Madrid
- 2015-2016: Students Crypto Reading Group @ IMDEA Software Institute
- Fall 2014: Introduction to Cryptography @ UPM, Madrid; Computer Security @ UPM / IMDEA Software Institute, Madrid
- “Juan de la Cierva-Incorporacion” research grant (2016-2017)
- H2020 project “NEXTLEAP” (2016-2018)
- COST Action IC1306 “Cryptography for Secure Digital Interaction”, Vice-chair and MC member
- RETOS project “DataMantium” (2016-2018)
- Past: EIT Digital Activity “HC@WORKS-16” (2016).
Program Committees and Editorial Boards:
- Current/Upcoming PCs: IEEE EuroS&P 2017, PKC 2017, Financial Crypto 2017, WAHC 2017, ASIACRYPT 2017, ACM Cloud Computing Security Workshop (CCSW) 2017.
- Editorial Board: IET Information Security Journal
- Past: ACM CCS 2016, BalkanCryptSec 2016, Eurocrypt 2016, PKC 2016, AfricaCrypt 2016, IEEE Euro S&P 2016, SEC@ACM SAC 2016, I Jornadas Nacionales de Investigacion en Ciberseguridad (JNIC 2015), ACM CCS 2015, CRYPTO 2015, PKC 2015, WAHC 2015, SCC 2015, SCN 2014, Africacrypt 2014, WAHC 2013-2014 Workshop on Applied Homomorphic Cryptography, Pairing 2012-2013, IWSEC 2012-2013, PKC 2011.
- ADSNARK: Nearly Practical and Privacy-Preserving Proofs on Authenticated Data @ Hanyang University, Seoul, South Korea. July 2017
- Computing Quadratic Functions on Encrypted Data @ Mathcrypt 2017, Daejeon, South Korea. June 30 2017.
- Unilaterally-Authenticated Key Exchange @ FC 2017, Malta. April 2017
- On the (In)Security of SNARKs in the Presence of Oracles @ II CryptoAction Symposium, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. March 2017.
- Secure Outsourcing of Data and Computation to the Cloud @ EIT Digital Symposium: security of digital systems and protocols, Rennes, France. November 24, 2016.
- Modern Cryptography for Privacy and Integrity in the Cloud @ GSE Management Summit, Lisbon, Portugal. September 27, 2016.
- Labeled Homomorphic Encryption: Scalable and Privacy-Preserving Processing of Outsourced Data @ Cryptography Seminars Day @URJC, Madrid, Spain. September 9, 2016.
- Labeled Homomorphic Encryption: Practical Delegation of Computation on Encrypted Data @ 3rd Microsoft Research – IMDEA Software Institute Collaborative Workshop, Cambridge, UK. May 2016.
- ADSNARK: Nearly Practical and Privacy-Preserving Proofs on Authenticated Data @ CryptoAction Symposium, Budapest, Hungary. April 2016.