I am an Assistant Research Professor (tenure-track) at the IMDEA Software Institute in Madrid, Spain. Before joining IMDEA Software, I held postdoctoral positions at Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (Germany), New York University (USA), and École Normale Supérieure (France).
In March 2010, I received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from University of Catania (Italy) under the supervision of Dario Catalano. During my PhD I was also a visiting student at New York University with Yevgeniy Dodis, and IBM Research T.J. Watson with Rosario Gennaro. See my CV for more details.
My research interests are in Cryptography and Security. In particular, my work focuses on the design of efficient and provably-secure cryptographic primitives and protocols. Some of the topics I work on include secure delegation of data and computation to the Cloud, homomorphic authenticators, zero-knowledge proof systems, and foundations of cryptography. See here for the full list of my publications.
I am looking for talented, highly motivated students, either graduate or undergraduate, who are interested in the area of Cryptography. If you are interested in working with me, please do not hesitate to contact me via email. * Currently open positions *
- Our work ADSNARK received the CNIL-INRIA 2016 award for privacy protection!
- Our Homomorphic Authentication Library (HAL) has been publicly released on GitHub!
Current Students and Postdocs:
- Antonio Faonio (Postdoc, 2017 – present)
- Matteo Campanelli (Postdoc, 2018 – present)
- Anca Nitulescu (PhD student, co-supervised with M. Abdalla and D. Pointcheval @ ENS Paris, October 2015 – present)
- Anais Querol Cruz (PhD student, October 2018 – present; funded by “la Caixa Foundation”)
- Dimitris Kolonelos (Research intern, September 2018 – present)
- Mario Garcia (Research developer, October 2018 – present)
- Jorge Blázquez (Master student, UCM, March 2018 – present)
- Recently graduated students:
- Luca Nizzardo (PhD student, 2014 – May 2018)
- Elena Pagnin (PhD student, external co-supervisor, with A. Sabelfeld @ Chalmers University of Technology, 2015 – September 2018)
- Spring 2018: Foundations of Cryptography @ UPM
- Fall 2017: Computer Security @ UPM / IMDEA Software Institute, Madrid
- RETOS project “DataMantium” (2016-2018)
- COST Action IC1306 “Cryptography for Secure Digital Interaction”, Vice-chair and MC member
Program Committees and Editorial Boards:
- Current/Upcoming PCs: PKC 2019, ACM CCS 2018, UCC Cloud Challenge 2018.
- Editorial Board: IET Information Security, International Journal of Applied Cryptography
- CRYPTO 2018, Financial Crypto 2018, BalkancryptSec 2018, ASIACRYPT 2017, ACM Cloud Computing Security Workshop (CCSW) 2017, IEEE EuroS&P 2017, PKC 2017, Financial Crypto 2017, WAHC 2017.
- Matrioska: A Compiler for Multi-Key Homomorphic Signatures @ SCN 2018, Amalfi, Italy. September 2018.
- Zero-Knowledge Proofs and Applications to IoT and Blockchains @ B4Things, Madrid, Spain. April 2018.
- Homomorphic Authentication for Computing Securely on Untrusted Machines, Keynote @ NordSec 2017, Tartu, Estonia, November 2017.
- Labeled Homomorphic Encryption @ ESORICS 2017, Oslo, Norway, September 2017.
- On the (In)Security of SNARKs in the Presence of Oracles @ IV Congreso de Jóvenes Investigadores de la Real Sociedad Matemática Española, Valencia, Spain. September 2017.
- ADSNARK: Nearly Practical and Privacy-Preserving Proofs on Authenticated Data @ Hanyang University, Seoul, South Korea. July 2017
- Computing Quadratic Functions on Encrypted Data @ Mathcrypt 2017, Daejeon, South Korea. June 30 2017.
- Unilaterally-Authenticated Key Exchange @ FC 2017, Malta. April 2017
- On the (In)Security of SNARKs in the Presence of Oracles @ II CryptoAction Symposium, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. March 2017.
- Secure Outsourcing of Data and Computation to the Cloud @ EIT Digital Symposium: security of digital systems and protocols, Rennes, France. November 24, 2016.
- Modern Cryptography for Privacy and Integrity in the Cloud @ GSE Management Summit, Lisbon, Portugal. September 27, 2016.
- Labeled Homomorphic Encryption: Scalable and Privacy-Preserving Processing of Outsourced Data @ Cryptography Seminars Day @URJC, Madrid, Spain. September 9, 2016.
- Labeled Homomorphic Encryption: Practical Delegation of Computation on Encrypted Data @ 3rd Microsoft Research – IMDEA Software Institute Collaborative Workshop, Cambridge, UK. May 2016.
- ADSNARK: Nearly Practical and Privacy-Preserving Proofs on Authenticated Data @ CryptoAction Symposium, Budapest, Hungary. April 2016.