I am an Associate Research Professor at the IMDEA Software Institute in Madrid, Spain.
I received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from University of Catania (Italy) in March 2010, supervised by Dario Catalano. During my PhD I was also a visiting student at New York University with Yevgeniy Dodis, and IBM Research T.J. Watson with Rosario Gennaro. See my CV for more details.
My research interests are on theoretical and practical aspects of Cryptography and its applications to Security & Privacy. My research especially focused on advancing the efficiency of cryptographic protocols.
Some of the topics I work on include: secure delegation of data and computation, computation on encrypted data, zero-knowledge proof systems, homomorphic authentication, and foundations of cryptography.
I am looking for talented, highly motivated students and postdocs who are interested in the area of Cryptography. If you are interested in working with me, please do not hesitate to contact me via email. Check out the currently open positions.
- PICOCRYPT: ERC Consolidator Grant (2021-2026)
- CRYPTOEPIC: “Europa Excelencia” grants by the Spanish Ministry of Science, PI (2019-2021)
- “Cryptographic Primitives for Randomness Generation and Privacy”: research grant by Nomadic Labs & Tezos Foundation, co-PI with Ignacio Cascudo (2020-2022)
- SCUM: “RETOS Investigación” project by the Spanish Ministry of Science, co-PI with Juan Caballero (2019-2022)
- SECURITAS: “Red de Investigación en Ciberseguridad y Privacidad” by the Spanish Ministry of Science, partner (2020-2022)
- NEC Labs Europe
Current Students and Postdocs:
- Ida Tucker (Postdoc, October 2020 – present)
- Lydia Garms (Postdoc, April 2021 – present; with Ignacio Cascudo)
- Anais Querol Cruz (PhD student, October 2018 – present; funded by “la Caixa Foundation”)
- Dimitris Kolonelos (PhD student, February 2019 – present)
- Pierre Bourse (Research intern from ENS Rennes, June 2021 – present)
Recently supervised postdocs and graduated students:
- Antonio Faonio (Postdoc, January 2017 – June 2020, now Assistant Prof @ EURECOM)
- Matteo Campanelli (Postdoc, February 2018 – July 2020, now Postdoc @ Aarhus University)
- Miguel Ambrona (Postdoc, January 2019 – May 2019, now Postdoc @ NTT)
- Luca Nizzardo (PhD student, 2014 – May 2018, now Research scientist @ Protocol Labs)
- Elena Pagnin (PhD student, external co-supervisor, with A. Sabelfeld @ Chalmers University of Technology, 2015 – September 2018, now Associate Senior Lecturer @ Lund University)
- Anca Nitulescu (PhD student, external co-supervisor, with M. Abdalla and D. Pointcheval @ ENS Paris, 2015 – 2019, now Research scientist @ Protocol Labs)
Program Committees and Editorial Boards:
- Current/Upcoming PCs: PKC 2022
- Editorial Boards: International Journal of Applied Cryptography
- Recent: Eurocrypt 2021, Financial Crypto 2021, PKC 2020, ACM CCS 2019, PKC 2019
- Boosting Verifiable Computation on Encrypted Data @ Kookmin University, South Korea, August 2020.
- LegoSNARK: Modular Design and Composition of Succinct Zero-Knowledge Proofs @ ICIAM 2019, Valencia, Spain, July 2019.
- Computing Securely on Untrusted Machines @ University of Verona, Italy, May 2019.
- LegoSNARK: Modular Design and Composition of Succinct Zero-Knowledge Proofs @ 2nd ZKProof Workshop, Berkeley, California, US, April 2019.
- Homomorphic Authentication for Computing Securely on Untrusted Machines @ Paris Crypto Day, Paris, France, March 2019.
- Matrioska: A Compiler for Multi-Key Homomorphic Signatures @ SCN 2018, Amalfi, Italy. September 2018.
- Zero-Knowledge Proofs and Applications to IoT and Blockchains @ B4Things, Madrid, Spain. April 2018.
- Spring 2018: Foundations of Cryptography @ UPM
- Fall 2020: Computer Security @ UPM / IMDEA Software Institute, Madrid