I am an Associate Research Professor at the IMDEA Software Institute in Madrid, Spain.
I received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from University of Catania (Italy) in March 2010, supervised by Dario Catalano. During my PhD I was also a visiting student at New York University with Yevgeniy Dodis, and IBM Research T.J. Watson with Rosario Gennaro. See my CV for more details.
My research interests are on theoretical and practical aspects of Cryptography and its applications to Security & Privacy. My research especially focused on advancing the efficiency of cryptographic protocols.
Some of the topics I work on include: secure delegation of data and computation, computation on encrypted data, zero-knowledge proof systems, homomorphic authentication, and foundations of cryptography.
I am looking for talented, highly motivated students and postdocs who are interested in the area of Cryptography. If you are interested in working with me, please do not hesitate to contact me via email. Check out the currently open positions.
- PICOCRYPT: ERC Consolidator Grant (2021-2026)
- “Cryptographic Primitives for Randomness Generation and Privacy”: research grant by Nomadic Labs & Tezos Foundation, co-PI with Ignacio Cascudo (2020-2022)
- SCUM: “RETOS Investigación” project by the Spanish Ministry of Science, co-PI with Juan Caballero (2019-2022)
- “Red de Investigación en Ciberseguridad y Privacidad” by the Spanish Ministry of Science, partner (2020-2022)
- Protocol Labs (RfP on Vector Commitments)
- NEC Labs Europe
- Lydia Garms (Postdoc, Apr 2021–present; with Ignacio Cascudo)
- Peter Chvojka (Postdoc, Oct 2021–present; with Ignacio Cascudo)
- Anaïs Querol Cruz (PhD student, Oct 2018–present; funded by “la Caixa Foundation”)
- Dimitris Kolonelos (PhD student, Feb 2019–present)
- David Balbás (PhD student, Oct 2021–present)
- Damien Robissout (Research programmer, Jan 2022–present)
- Gaspard Anthoine (Research programmer, Feb 2022–present)
- Miguel Morona (Intern, Feb 2022–present)
- Gennaro Avitabile (Visiting PhD student from University of Salerno, Jan 2022–present)
- Ida Tucker (Postdoc, Oct 2020–Jan 2022)
- Antonio Faonio (Postdoc, Jan 2017–June 2020 → Assistant Prof @ EURECOM)
- Matteo Campanelli (Postdoc, Feb 2018–July 2020 → Postdoc @ Aarhus University → Research scientist @ Protocol Labs)
- Miguel Ambrona (Postdoc, Jan–May 2019 → Postdoc @ NTT)
- Luca Nizzardo (PhD student, Sep 2014–May 2018 → Research scientist @ Protocol Labs)
- Elena Pagnin (PhD student, external co-supervisor with A. Sabelfeld @ Chalmers University of Technology, 2015–Sep 2018 → Assistant Prof @ Lund University)
- Anca Nitulescu (PhD student, external co-supervisor with M. Abdalla and D. Pointcheval @ ENS Paris, 2015–2019 → Research scientist @ Protocol Labs)
Program Committees and Editorial Boards:
- Current/Upcoming PCs: ACM CCS 2022, Crypto 2022, PKC 2022
- Editorial Boards: International Journal of Applied Cryptography
- Recent: Eurocrypt 2021, Financial Crypto 2021, PKC 2020, ACM CCS 2019, PKC 2019
- A journey in vector commitments @ Vector Commitment Research Day, March 2022.
- Succinct Zero-Knowledge Batch Proofs for Set Accumulators @ Nomadic Labs research seminars, February 2022.
- A journey in vector commitments. Keynote @ IWSEC 2021, September 2021.
- Cryptography for Privacy and Integrity of Computation on Untrusted Machines @ “Summer seminars on cybersecurity”, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering of Sapienza University of Rome, June 2021.
- Boosting Verifiable Computation on Encrypted Data @ Kookmin University, South Korea, August 2020.
- LegoSNARK: Modular Design and Composition of Succinct Zero-Knowledge Proofs @ ICIAM 2019, Valencia, Spain, July 2019.
- Computing Securely on Untrusted Machines @ University of Verona, Italy, May 2019.
- LegoSNARK: Modular Design and Composition of Succinct Zero-Knowledge Proofs @ 2nd ZKProof Workshop, Berkeley, California, US, April 2019.
- Homomorphic Authentication for Computing Securely on Untrusted Machines @ Paris Crypto Day, Paris, France, March 2019.
- Fall 2021: Cryptographic protocols @ Master in Formal Methods UAM/UCM/UPM, Madrid
- Fall 2021: Computer Security @ UPM / IMDEA Software Institute, Madrid